- Repose in the beautiful gardens and feel the sense of tranquillity that the architect intended for the original patients in the early 20th century
- Explore the vast property, take in 16 pavilions and marvel at the level of detail and the sense of joy in the architecture
- Learn about the rich medical history of a hospital site that originally dates back to 1401
In the early 1900s, visionary architect Domènech i Montaner built something radical. On the site of a medieval hospital he designed a modern hospital that would provide patients with architectural and natural beauty that would help heal their spirits. It was an unheard of concept back then and it still feels revolutionary; explore the magnificent Art Nouveau complex that he devised.
The property comprises 16 pavilions, and includes underground tunnels and a sense of style that is characterized by mosaic art, colored roof tiles, intricate arches and fun, playful lines. There are courtyards and greenery that reflect Montaner’s conviction that flowers and trees could help patients more than a conventionally sterile environment. It’s a masterpiece, but not in the forbidding sense.
The building was made a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2009, and the hospital is now located in the north-east of the district.
Swap your smartphone voucher for a paper ticket at the ticket office.
Cancellations are not possible for this ticket.
Didn't use the ticket? For a full refund, contact our Customer Service anytime within your ticket's validity date
- Metro: L5 to Sant Pau - Dos de Maig
- Bus: H8, 19, 20, 45, 47, 50, 51, 92, 117 or 192
- April - October: Monday - Saturday, 09:30 - 18:30; Sundays and holidays, 09:30 - 14:30
- November - March: Monday - Saturday, 09:30 - 16:30; Sundays and holidays, 09:30 - 14:30
Yes, it has abeautiful architecture, but that’s all.
Good trip to do on a free day although. Don’t miss one of the important objectives for this one.